monk of Gerleve since 1918. He studied theology at Sant’Anselmo, the Gregoriana and the Angelicum. From 1928 he taught dogmatic theology at Sant’Anselmo. His studies of mysticism led to the reawakening of the attention of specialists in spiritual theology, but they also contributed to the restructuring of theological thought around the notion of revelation.
monk of Zevenkerken (first vows in 1928). His university studies took place in Sant’Anselmo and Leuven. In 1934 he was ordained a priest. In 1940 he obtained a degree in “oriental ecclesiastical science” at the Oriental Institute. In the years 1936-1942 he held the position of vice-rector of the Greek College. In 1940 he was appointed professor of Byzantine and dogmatic theology at Sant’Anselmo.
Some of his most interesting studies, such as those related to sapiential theology, were published in the text “The theological sense of the liturgy. Essay of general theological liturgy ” (Rome 1957).
He filled numerous roles within Sant’Anselmo: dean of the faculty of theology, vice-rector and rector from 1974 to 1978. He was also one of the “fathers” of the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy.
In Milan he participated in the foundation of the theological faculties of Northern Italy.
monk of Finalpia (first vows in 1927). His student career began in Subiaco and then continued at Sant’Anselmo, where he was ordained priest in 1933. In the years 1934-1935 he was a student at the prestigious Benedictine Academy of Santa Maria Laach. This played a key role in his research and there he met Odo Casel, the German theologian-liturgist who helped him to develop his idea of the presence of the mystery of Christian salvation in the liturgy.
He was the editor of Rivista Liturgica from 1948. From 1960 he taught liturgy at Sant’Anselmo, where he was also the first coordinator of the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy.
From 1972 to 1979 he was abbot of the Santa Maria Abbey of Finalpia.
monk of Münsterschwarzach since 1930. He studied in Würzburg, where he was ordained priest in 1936, and at the Benedictine Academy of Santa Maria Laach. From 1949 to 1978, he taught the history of the Church at the Pontifical Athenaeum Sant’Anselmo.
From 1954 he began working on the monumental project Corpus Consuetudinum Monasticarum, which he was able to personally take care of until 1987 (the last five volumes were published posthumously between 1996 and 2010). Among the numerous publications that aroused considerable scientific interest were those dedicated to Saint Benedict and Saint Gregory Magnus (1957). During his academic career he was awarded numerous prizes and medals.
monk of Clervaux in Luxemburg, he studied theology at Sant’Anselmo and Paris.
From 1955 he was a professor at Sant’Anselmo. His most important work, “The love of letters and the desire for God” was published in 1957. Among his publications we find numerous studies dedicated to the works of St. Bernard.
monk of Maredsous (first vows in 1933). He received an initial formation in theology and liturgy at the Monastery of Louvain. He began as a teacher in the gymnasium of his monastery.
In the years following, he deepened his studies of liturgy in Paris.
During the years when he taught liturgy at Sant’Anselmo, he participated in numerous conferences in Italy, Africa and the USA. During the Second Vatican Council, he was responsible for drafting the new versions of the lectionary and special rites.
In 1984 he was appointed director of the new magazine, Ecclesia Orans. It was he who wrote the comment on the liturgical year “Celebrer Jesu Christ”.
Adalbert De Vogüe1924-2011
since 1944, a monk of La Pierre qui Vire. His most important work was “The literary history of the monastic movement in antiquity”. He taught at the Monastic Institute of Sant’Anselmo in the years 1970-1975 and 1989-1999.
after his priestly ordination in 1951, he began his studies at the Pontifical Athenaeum Sant’Anselmo and obtained his doctorate in theology. From 1955 to 1957, he taught at the theological school of Engelberg. From 1962 to 1964, he deepened his studies of theology in Paris, where he compared with teachers such as Henri-Irénée Marrou, Jacques Fontaine and Jean Daniélou. Later he taught history of the primitive and patristic Church at Sant’Anselmo. From 1972, he also taught at the Augustinian Patristic Institute. He received an honorary degree from the Lucerne theology faculty.
monk of Einsiedeln (first profession in 1948, priest in 1952). He was a student of Sant’Anselmo. He participated in the editing of the “Mysterium Salutis”, the most important Catholic dogmatic of the post-Vatican II Council. In 1963 he succeeded Cipriano Vaggagini as the chair of dogmatics at Sant’Anselmo. He collaborated with some of the greatest Catholic theologians, such as Hans Urs von Balthasar and Karl Rahner, but also Protestants such as Karl Barth and Gerhard Ebeling. From 1971 to 1976, he was director of the St. Paul Academy in Zurich. In 1976 he was invited as a guest professor to the Lateran University. From 1993 he taught at the theology school of Einsiedeln.